Type: New Feature
Status: Closed (View Workflow)
Resolution: Won't Fix
Fix Version/s: None
The current DSpace configuration and build process makes modification difficult in a multiple developer environment e.g. a project with a couple of engineers.
Consider the following scenario:
- A project wishes to make significant modifications to the DSpace codebase
- The project consists of multiple developers (potentially on different OS's and varying install paths for binaries e.g. maven)
- Each developer wants their DSpace to be stored in potentially a different location to another developer e.g. their home dir
- Each developer wanted a one step process to build, deploy and launch DSpace within a container (to make development and testing quicker)
- Code coverage analysis was required to see how effective system tests were
- The project doesn't want to commit their entire DSpace codebase to their own internal source code management system e.g. svn
- The project needs to know exactly at any point in time which DSpace files were modified (and what those modifications were)
- An easy way to generate a patch is required in order to raise a Jira and submit the code back to DSpace
- An easy way to perform automated web testing was required for a nightly build
The scenario described above was encountered on the UK Jorum project and we created a build script to facilitate the above.
The build script used in the Jorum project might be a useful AddOn to DSpace.